------------------------------------------------------ THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN BACK IN 2010 WITH AN AIM TO TARGET THOSE PEOPLE WHO TRAVEL FREQUENTLY TO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES. WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF COMPILING ANOTHER ARTICLE FOR 2012. IF YOU WISH TO CONTRIBUTE TOWARDS THIS THEN KINDLY EMAIL YOUR ENTRIES ALONG WITH YOUR PHOTOGRAPH AND A LINKBACK TO YOUR WEBSITE/BLOG TO firstname.lastname@example.org WITH THE SUBJECT: DANGEROUS COUNTRIES 2012. REGARDS, TEAM eMagzin ------------------------------------------------------
“We will have a border that is open for business, open for tourism, open for legitimate travellers; but is closed for terrorists and drug pushers and smugglers and others who seek to break the law.” Quite a reassuring statement by a prominent American diplomat Paul Cellucci, isn’t it? Travelling is a hassle free activity, provided you do not resemble any of the latter personality types. But what if ,you are planning to visit an exotic tourist destination and these latter personality types are already in business there? Kidnapping, murder, disease, rape, terrorism, accidents and theft cases are some of the worst travel tragedies. Every other day, there are travel advisories issued by the state government agencies so as to safeguard the interests of their respective citizens. These travel advisories provide fair deal of information weather to travel to the subjected country or not. Now if you are still confused which country is safe and which is not, here is a list of most dangerous countries to travel.
10) Israel- Visiting the holy land is generally considered to be safe. Still visitors are advised to exercise high degree of caution due to the ongoing terrorist activities.The probability of confrontation between Israeli military and some groups is quite high at any time. Avoid visiting places near to Gaza strip and West bank due to high level of terrorist threat.
9) India- This land of extremes is very fascinating and leaves a visitor awestruck. The locals are more than willing to help a foreigner in normal circumstances. However, some regions are very unsafe for female foreign travellers especially during the night. A number of rape cases or attempted ones were reported in places like Goa, New Delhi and Rajasthan, although these incidents are very rare. Avoid wearing clothes that expose the body.
8 ) Lebanon- Lebanon is probably the only country in the world where you can ski in the morning and can have sunbath at a beach in the afternoon. Lebanon has splendid scenic beauty and is by far one of the best nightlife tourist destinations. But like any country, certain regions of the country can be dangerous. Avoid visiting southern suburbs of Beirut, areas near Litani River and Bekaa valley. The terrorist groups are highly active and has inflicted various attacks on tourist places including Tripoli.
7) Zimbabwe- The great Victoria falls in Zimbabwe is truly one of the most spectacular sites. Ancient ruins of the Munhumutapa Empire and the eastern highlands further glorify this landlocked African country. The deteriorating economic condition is driving the criminal activity. Robbery, snatching and assaults on foreigners are pretty common on streets. Travellers are recommended to secure stuff like extra cash, jewellery, electronic goods and passport.
6) Brazil- This football crazy nation is a melting pot of the most diverse ethnic groups ever known. Brazil is a land of great diversity, lush green Amazon rain forests, exotic beaches, carnivals and a cuisine you will die for. Over the years, Brazil has witnessed remarkable economic growth but unfortunately is a perfect example of The Rich and the Poor Divide. This divide propelled the crime rate in the country giving rise to organized crime. There’s a fairly high chance of getting kidnapped and taken to a nearby ATM to pay your own ransom, especially during the carnivals. Drug and arms trade, corruption, prostitution, etc. You name the menace and its right there. Violent street crime is not unusual and you may find yourself in a back to back gang war.
5) South Africa- When you think of South Africa the first things coming to your mind is Nelson Mandela, National wildlife sanctuaries, adventure sports, hiking , great wines and last but not the least FIFA World Cup. Isn’t it? If you exercise caution, believe me this place will be a paradise destination. Crime in South Africa is a very genuine problem. It has been proclaimed as the rape capital of the world. Visitors are advised not to go for a stroll in the evenings or you might feel a knife pressing by your throat. And apart from it, HiV AIDS is highly prevalent, so it’s advisable to exercise restraint.
4) Algeria- DO NOT travels to Algeria unless you have to visit it for a very important business trip or you are a journalist. The recent history of this country is full of civil war stories which gave a subsequent rise to warlords. Terrorism, ambushes, fake road blockages are common instances. It’s highly advisable to check out the travel advisory by your country before visiting Algeria.
3) Pakistan- If you tell your mom about visiting Pakistan, she will probably faint right there. The kidnapping and murder of Daniel Pearl (Jewish American Journalist), the assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto and the bombing of Marriot Hotel in Islamabad are few examples. Avoid social protests and public demonstrations as they often turn violent. Pakistan is a pretty hospitable country and probably the only one where you can find every type of geographical terrain. It’s a beautiful country with generous people, the only thing required is caution and a little bit of brains.
2) Colombia- Although intensity of violence is not the same as it used to be back in 1980’s, visiting Colombia is still a pretty dangerous business. Spectacular Andes mountain ranges, gorgeous women and some breathtaking landscapes are good enough reasons to travel to Colombia but you might want to take a glance at your country’s travel advisory before coming to a conclusion. The presence of paramilitary organizations, drug traffickers and armed guerrilla (FARC and ELN) pose a major threat to tourists. Kidnapping, extortion, robbery, murder, car bombings, drug trade etc are common in cities as well as rural areas .Visitors are advised not to visit troubled areas an exercise high caution while travelling.
1) Haiti- Haiti is small Caribbean country with amazing French African culture and cuisine. But if you are normally unsettled by a picture of extreme poverty or cannot withstand practices like witchcraft, Voodoo and black magic, I sincerely advice you not to visit Haiti. Haiti has a troubled past and to add to its woes, it was stuck by a major earthquake in January 2010 leave aside the list of devastating hurricanes and tropical storms in the past. Riots, civil unrest, escaped prisoners on the streets are a part of present scenario. The ongoing famine resulted in riots and looting. Car hijacking or fake roadblocks are everyday incidents. Without any doubt, Haiti is the most dangerous place to travel in current scenario.